Please watch this 43 minute video as part of HW over the next few afternoons. Enjoy. Please leave a comment about what you learned, and what you found as the most interesting piece of information.
http://app.discoveryeducation.com/player/view/assetGuid/97E3E4EB-B62E-4FF2-9ED0-A9C5CB6550BC
In line segment 1 I learned what the whole video was going to be about. Most stories have an interesting introduction. This story didn't just start with "In this story you'll learn all about the grand canyon!" It started like this "America's greatest natural wonder. Built by rampaging and impacting force, such as water and wind" That gets you on the edge of your seat wanting to see what's next, and what the wonder is.
ReplyDeleteAlways good to have a grabber get you on your seat's edge!
DeleteI can tell that the author for this video presentation had casted his line out… far! He set his bait; “America’s greatest natural wonder”. Then, while narrating a very dull sentence: “Created by Earth’s most savage forces” the writer explained what he meant by showing pictures of them: gushing water and heavy-duty wind; and then explaining what they are. The narrator acted serious, the writer was very clever, and there were action-packed video clips. This video is going to become a blockbuster!
ReplyDeleteIn this video, I learned that the Grand Canyon was actually formed by three different things. Before I watched this video, I thoughty that it was only water that wore away the land. Then I learned that it is also a great volcano that happened long ago, and icy coldness that happens in the winter time. I thought it was interesting that it took half the time since the earth has been in existence to form such a big canyon.
ReplyDeleteIn segment 2 I learned how old, where, wide, and deep the Grand Canyon is .The Grand Canyon is 2 billion years old. It crosses the Colorado Plato in northern Arizona. It's 18 miles wide and has a depth of a mile. If you would skydive from the surface of the Grand Canyon it'd take forty seconds just to make it to the bottom. I also learned, that the Colorado River goes into the Grand Canyon. The Colorado River is rapid at some parts. The very fine twisted rocks in the Grand Canyon are called the Vishnu Shift. Another fact is, where you can find clues in the Grand Canyon. In the video is kind of taught of how the Earth was made. It talked about Continents splitting, the crust, and collisions. You also learn that the Grand Canyon has had at least a billion of its rocks washed away, and a fourth of Earth's history has gone away. It also has at least a layer of rock missing from every twist and turn. Did you know the Grand Canyon holds some of the oldest rocks in North America. Metamorphic rocks found in the Vishnu Shift are more than 3.8 billion years old.
ReplyDeleteSegment 1 was deffintely not boring. It wasn't like today were going to be watching a boring video about the Grand Canyon.I found the introduction very interesting. It got you out of your seat and excited. The part that got me most interested was when they said discover the ancient secrets of the Grand Canyon and they showed a picture of a guy looking into the Grand Canyon.
ReplyDeleteSegment 2 was even better! It showed that not only water drying up formed the Grand Canyon. Also a lot of other stuff did it to. I never knew that! The most interesting thing was that when a rock climber and scientist teamed up and they told how old the rocks were and other amazing things. I never knew rocks were so interesting!
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked it.
DeleteIn segment 2 I learned that the Grand Canyon was not only made by the Colorado River. It happened to be one of the largest mountain ranges of all time. Then, the sun and ice cracked the mountain and became sand. The sand was eventually taken off into the wind. It is insane how interesting rocks can be!
ReplyDeleteI learned that it took 2 billion years to form and was made by the Colorado river in Arizona. Also that it is 277 miles long, 18 miles wide and over a mile in depth. That’s really big to me! That was actually one of the most interesting facts I learned because that is one of the biggest canyons, ever.
ReplyDeleteUnless you go and visit the canyon, it is impossible to understand just how big it is.
DeleteWhat I found interesting was in segment 3 where they said that a collision between the ancient Pacific and North America is what lifted the Grand Canyon so high.In segment 6 I learned that the whole landscape has been shaped by sudden violent floods.
ReplyDeleteSegment3 I never knew that the Grand Canyon and America was filled with water 240,000,000 years ago. What tells us that this is trueSegment3 I never knew that the Grand Canyon and America was filled with water 240,000,000 years ago. What tells us that this is true is the fossils. Who knew that there were FOSSILS in the Grand Canyon? Some are really big and some are microscopic. There were huge sea dinosaurs and little plants. The Grand Canyon is unbelievable. is the fossils. Who knew that there were FOSSILS in the Grand Canyon? Some are really big and some are microscopic. There were huge sea dinosaurs and little plants. The Grand Canyon is unbelievable.
ReplyDeleteI really thought this video was interesting, because I never knew that ice helped with this. And then the fire? It seems like it would just burn it, but then I found out it was just lava. I didn't think a line of volcanos could form in the smack dab middle of the dessert. My favorite part of the video is when they climb Castilian tower. I have actually seen the Grand Canyon myself. my family and I where on a glass plat form, so we could peer down and see what it looked like.
ReplyDeleteWhat I thought was most interesting was that nearly 2 billion years ago, the Grand Canyon was formed, and that it is 270 miles long, 18 miles wide, and 1 mile deep! When islands and landmasses formed, the rocks heated up to 1200 degrees! I didn't know there were mountains taller than Everest, but they all are now sand and rock canyons in the Grand Canyon. Each rock in the Grand Canyon represents the history of each form of Earth. A surprising fact was that the whole U.S. was underwater. Giant reptiles swam in now what is called Grand Canyon. Their bodies’ are called limestone. The Castleton tower is 6,450 ft. tall! (Including the canyon under) I think all these facts are really interesting.
ReplyDelete-Shirley
It helps to know these facts when you find shells in canyons.
DeleteWell who knew? What I learned in line segment 3 was that the grand canyon was mad of multiple types of areas. There is part of it that once was a desert, a jungle, and an ocean of which is now the Grand Canyon! As I watch every video clip, I am finally starting to see how much the Earth has evolved through mother nature. As they say, you learn something new every day!
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting part to me was how ice and lava, which are two exact opposites, formed the Grand Canyon along with water and wind. And the Casselton tower not eroding because of calcite which requires at least 380 degrees farenhight to transform into the specific mineral.
ReplyDeleteGreat reply, Thanks Tony
DeleteSegment 4 had a really good cliff hanger. It was very interesting about how the Rocky Mountains were made by the Pacific Ocean and North America. The two plates collided and the Pacific Ocean won! I never knew water could be that powerful. North America went up and formed what is now called the Rocky Mountains.
ReplyDeleteSegment 5 is the most amazing segment so far. It is unbelievable what water and time can do to rock. Weathering and erosion will truly demolish rock. If you punch a rock as hard as you can, nothing will happen to it. If a bunch of time and water work together to destroy a rock, the rock has NO chance.
ReplyDeleteIn segment 1 Introduction: Grand Canyon, I learned that the Grand Canyon is shaped by two savage and uncontrollable forces, water vs rock. What I found as the most interesting is that the Grand Canyon is America's greatest natural wonder.
ReplyDeleteIn segment 2 America's Early Geologic History, I learned that the Grand Canyon was carved at two billion years of disaster and it slices through the Colorado Plateau in Northern Arizona. The Colorado River is near the Grand Canyon and there are fascinating twisted rocks called the Vishnu Shift. It also told about islands forming, continents splitting, and collisions. Metamorphic rocks are more than 3.8 billion years old and are found in the Vishnu Shift. What I found as the most interesting piece of information is that the Grand Canyon is 18 miles wide and 1 mile deep, so if you fall it will take 40 seconds to reach the bottom.
ReplyDeleteIn segment 3 A Prehistoric Ocean in the Grand Canyon, I learned that the Grand Canyon has a red stone that is 300 million years old and is the remains of a moist fern-covered jungle. Creamy yellow sandstone from 260 million years ago when the Earth transformed into a desert almost wiping out all life. The Panthalassic Ocean enclosed the supercontinent Pangaea during the Paleozioc and early Mesozioc eras. What I found as the most interesting piece of information is that 240 million years ago, America was unrecognizable because the whole western United States was underwater.
ReplyDeleteThat is an amazing fact and very cool when you are on mountains today or in a desert, and still can find shells.
DeleteIn segment 4 Castleton Tower: Clues in the Rock, I learned that Castleton Tower has a streak of hard white calcite runs through Castleton Tower, protecting it from erosion over millions of years. The rest of the spire is made of sandstone formed more than 200 million years ago in a barren land. What I found as the most interesting piece of information is that Castleton Tower is 450 feet of vertical stone and is a last shard of a lost terrain, millions of years old.
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting thing I learned was how water, wind, ice, and lava were powerful enough to form the Grand Canyon. Even though it took a billion years to form, now it looks beautiful. It was worth the wait.
ReplyDeleteIn segment 5 Erosion, Flash Floods, and Rapids, I learned that at the bottom of the Grand Canyon can reach 120 degrees. In just a few minutes, a flash flood can turn a trickle in a gully into a ten-foot torrent of water. Everyday, over 800 million gallons of water tide through the Grand Canyon, crashing over 160 rapids. Weathering, erosion and flash floods, have shape the Grand Canyon for millions of years. What I found as the most interesting piece of information is that the power of rapids are so astounding, that one stretch of rushing water could supply energy to 12,000 homes.
ReplyDeleteIn segment 6 Lava Flows Shape the Canyon, I learned the last volcanoes erupted in the canyon almost a thousand years ago. The volcanoes have been dormant for the last thousand years; however it could erupt at any time. What I found as the most interesting piece of information is that around 600,000 years ago, a movement in the Earth's crust allowed molten magma to punch through to the surface as a chain of volcanoes.
ReplyDeleteIn segment 7 Damaging Effects of Ice, I learned that the temperatures at the rim of the canyon can often be 30 degrees colder than at the base of the canyon. Water, fire, and ice created the Grand Canyon; however they're also tearing it down. What I found as the most interesting piece of information is that the ice in between rocks expand and pressure is so high that even a tiny sliver of ice can loosen a load of rock.
ReplyDeleteSegment 6 blew my mind. It was actually better then segment 5! There was a better cliff hanger. Who knew that lava took place in forming the Grand Canyon? I thought most volcanos were near the edge of a continent. Scientist say that there was something called a hot spot located near the Grand Canyon that could melt 20 miles of stone! They said the last time the hot spot erupted was nearly 1000 years ago. They say it could erupt any minute now.
ReplyDeleteI learned that the Grand Canyon was partly created and partly destroyed by three forces: water, lava and ice. I found ice particularly interesting. I was amazed when they explained how water gushes into cracks and freezes during winter and expands, sending rocks hurtling toward the canyon floor. In a few billion years the Grand Canyon will become the flat plain that is used to be.
ReplyDeleteTime wait for no one and slowly works its magic.
DeleteSegment 7. I never knew there was ice in the Grand Canyon. How could a very hot place could have…ICE. I also didn’t know that the Grand Canyon is still getting wider and deeper every day. I thought it was done with this process. There is still so much we don’t know about the Grand Canyon but one day we will figure it all out.
ReplyDeleteInside line segment 4, I learned that just some calcime in Castleton Tower, had kept this knife in the Earth for thousands of years. Castleton Tower once happened to be part of a mountain range, but was still protected from wheathering and erosion, making it one of the taller parts of the Grand Canyon.
ReplyDeleteBy: Anshuman #18
ReplyDeleteI just watched all the videos in one clip, so I don't know where the different segments start and end. This thing was AMAZING!!! I always thought it was geographically impossible for it to SNOW in such a hot place!!! And all the volcanic activity happening there! And I knew the all the oceans were one ocean and were much larger at the time, but THAT far inland!!! This was one cool video.
In line segment 5 I learned that erosion can start on one side of a country and end up waring away rock on the other. Every year, during Summer, the waters in the Gulf of Mexico increase their temperature, by an average of 30 degrees Fahrenheit, thus making the waters evaporate. The clouds carry the water all the way to the Grand Canyon. Then, the site cools down, making the rain percipitate. Afterwards, the waters combine with the Colorado River, flooding the canyon. This is another process of erosion, happening today.
ReplyDeleteIn line segment 6 I learned that there was a volcanic eruption, that was another cause of the Grand Canyon being formed. There was a "hot spot" by the canyon. This hot spot rose up from the ground, forming a chain of volcanoes. Volcanoes erupt at one time or another, right? This chain of volcanoes erupted and carved away at the canyon. This is another way the Grand Canyon was born! Amazing!
ReplyDeleteEvery great story has to come to an end. ICE also made the canyon. Since water evaporates, and it gets cold enough in the Winter, it will snow. There will already be cracks in the canyon, so the ice will melt in the daytime. That might eat away at the rock. However, at night the Grand Canyon will cool down, and the water will freeze. As you know, when water freezes it expands. This force will expand the cracks. Wheathering takes place here.
ReplyDeleteTo wrap it all up, I learned in this video,that three different opposites formed this massive canyon. Lava, water, and ice formed it. The ice wheathered the canyon down. Then, water and lava eroded it. Mother nature has been through the extrordinary changes, forming this canyon for millions of years.
My faviort part was seeing how wind, water lava, and, ice can form the Grand Canyon.I liked it so much i can watch the video again because it was interesting.
ReplyDeleteThe more times you watch something that interests you the more you will learn about it.
DeleteFrom this entire video the segment about Castleton tower caught me the most. I learned that it's a gigantic piece of rock in the middle of nowhere. The size of Castleton alone is 400 feet! I also learned that if you were to jump of the top of the Grand Canyon it would be a mile drop and take 40 seconds.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed it.
Delete